Sunday, June 15, 2008

Other SMAC members start speaking up!

Last week I sent out emails with questions (please see previous post) to explore how much SM Advantage members really know about the SM-Philam insurance tie up that automatically deducts points from members without our knowledge nor approval.

I already received several emails from fellow SMAC members and below are some of their replies. It’s not surprising anymore to find out that ALL who emailed me were also sent the notifications by SM only a few months’ short of their so-called insurance coverage.

1. Are you aware of the automatic insurance coverage for SMAC members? If yes, how did you find out about this and when?

A.S. says: Now yes, but only after I received the email from SM Advantage

I.A. says: Only thru the email I received with the information

J.C. says: No. Until I read your blog, I had absolutely no idea about this!

2. Have you received any email informing you about your personal coverage? If yes, when was the email sent and what are the dates of your coverage?

K.S. says: Dates of coverage are from November 2007 to November 2008. I was emailed May 24 2008

A.S. says: Yes, on Thursday, 29 May 2008. I'm supposedly covered from "10/15/07 and will end on 10/15/08".

3. Is it okay with you to be deducted 20 points from your SMAC balance without your knowledge and be automatically enrolled in the insurance coverage? Why or why not?

K.S. says: I feel that they should have informed us earlier and given us the choice.

A.S. says: No, not without my prior knowledge… as another person already shared, I have too many other insurances already and I don't need another one. While it's only P20, it's still something I can use to add in my purchasing power whenever I do grocery at SM.

I.A. says: I was deducted 40 points! Because I am prestige member. It is also unfair because they took the liberty to use my prestige membership over my SM Advantage membership which took out double points instead. Of course it is not ok without my prior approval!

J.C. says: No, this is not okay. As SM shoppers, we take great pains to earn those points (which compared to other point-earning cards much like it, take FOREVER to accumulate!). And so no matter how small the amount, we should be informed of ANY automatic deduction, even in the guise of something that will supposedly "benefit" us.

4. What are your general thoughts about being automatically insured without being informed about it personally? Do you think you can even file a claim when you meet any accident?

K.S. says: I would have rather that they called us up because not everyone checks their email so often. I welcomed the insurance however wish I could have been given a choice first. It is such a hassle to have to un-enroll yourself from th program.

I.A. says: Precisely! And to make matters worse, I recently went on a trip abroad and purchased travel insurance in US dollars. Had I known that I had this coverage from Philam, I could have used my USD for pocket money instead!

J.C. says: At minimum, I expect to be informed of a deduction, even just as a matter of courtesy. And I expect to be informed PERSONALLY as through an e-mail or snail mail message. SM cannot expect that every one of their 4 Million cardholders would be aware of this so-called "added benefit" only through the media. They have to remember that these are their LOYAL customers and should therefore be accorded the simple service of TIMELY, PERSONAL advice ... And not just be told when their coverage is about to expire. This smacks of foul play and of SM not acting in good faith to the very customers who keep them in business! Once again (and believe me, there were many, many, many times!), SM has made me very, very, very disappointed. I really should re-think my loyalty to this store.

As you’ve read blog readers, more and more people are taking a stand against this injustice. We would appreciate it if you can share with us your thoughts (and indignation!) as well. Thank you!

No comments: