Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Continuation of the SM Advantage Saga

Ack, this seems like a teleserye already. But, as there are new developments in my "battle" against SM's rotten insurance program, let's carry on ...

Yesterday, Ms. Marou Sarne of DWIZ 882, interviewed me around 12:45 pm during their program about the issues I took up with SM Advantage. She gave a backgrounder about the topic and confirmed that there are also other people who posted the same complaints in an internet forum. We discussed about SM's dubious process of automatically enrolling SMA members without our knowledge and consent among other things. I was glad I was given the opportunity to speak out for many who, I'm sure, would also like to air out their concerns but couldn't find the proper venues to do so.

Marou told me that they will be trying to contact DTI, SM and perhaps Philam so they can speak their side in today's program. So do tune in to their show using the AM frequency from 12-1 pm Mondays to Fridays or look for their website where, I was told, live feeds can be heard.

I just hope we can get some clearer answers soon. Hmmm, if only someone from SM could honestly admit:
"Eh kaya nga late kami nagpapadala ng notices, para wala na kayong time mag-claim at amin na lang ang pera nyo!" After all, that is what's been happening. *sigh* Wishful thinking.

Also, I received another email from Atty. Asis of DTI this afternoon in response to my last letter to them (please see my previous blog post). Here it is

Dear Ms. *****,

Thanks for the update, I accidentally touched a key on my computers which prompted the sending of my incomplete email reply to you which was my first email letter and I aplogies for that incident. I sent the said SM letter to help clarify concerns between you and SM as an initial measure of action taken by our offcice on your complaint considering a similar case on the matter. However If you are not satisfied with the explanations stated in the said letter you might consider waiting for an answer from SM. Again we are doing this as an initial measure/action to assiat disputing parties resolve their concerns within their level..
In case you are still not satisfied with their response, you can formally file a complaint in our office. Your formal complaint should be duly signed stating therein your name, address; contact numbers, the name and address of the establishment you are complaining; and the circumstances regarding the complaint including names, emails, dates places etc. Also enclosed supporting documents such as official receipts, deed of sale and the likes manifesting proof of sales/transaction. We need the said information so that we can properly evaluate and act on your complaint; and determine whether your omplaint has legal basis or cause action; or it is within the ambit of the consumer act. Please comply with the above requirements as prescribed by the law.

Very truly yours,

Mario Asis

Head, Legal Affairs Center

National Capital Region

Department of Trade and Industry

12th Floor Trafalgar Plaza Bldg.,

105 H.V. dela Costa st. Salcedo Village Makati

Tel. No. 811-8231 local 218


To which, again, my Gabriela Silang side couldn't just let pass. So I composed another reply:


Dear Atty Asis,

I hope SM can come up with a specific response with regards to the issues I'm complaining about and not send some general letter to shut up the customers simply because they answered regardless of the content or message within.

*Sigh* So I'm supposed to go through all the legal hoops just so DTI will act on the issues I raised? I was hoping that since more and more SM Advantage customers are complaining about this particular program, your agency can at least start investigating this further. After all, we did send you our complaints already. Frankly, it seems that even DTI is making it harder for ordinary people like us to find justice when the cases involve big corporations like SM and Philam.

If you search the net, you'll find several forums where people are also posting their disgust at the so-called insurance privilege because they, too, only got to know about it a few months before their coverage expires. In my case, I only found out about being already on my 2nd year of coverage because I called their hotline! What kind of professionalism is that on their part?!

Kindly consider compiling too the list of complaints you've been getting from dissatisfied SM Advantage customers instead of asking each one of us to yet again file another set of formal complaints individually before you take some concrete actions.

Respectfully,
*****


==

Once more, I was disappointed because he wants me to file a formal complaint (hindi pa pala considered formal yung ginawa kong pag-email!) with supporting documents etc. Haven't I mapped out already the important points they need to look into? To think that even with the similarly-mannered complaints they already received, they still won't investigate the matter thoroughly unless someone would go through all the "red tape". What I observed is that DTI only forwards to email senders the standard letter that SM gave them and (I think) hopes for the best that everyone who received that will no longer pursue the matter because it would be too much of a hassle by then.

Given the numerous complaints already being aired by so many SMA customers (whether through formal writing or calls to DTI, SM and Philam; posts in the internet and emails to one's network of contacts) who are dissatisfied with the process, why can't DTI at least exert some effort to take this thing more seriously? I hope when they are contacted by Marou's program, somebody can finally provide coherent answers that will directly address the issues raised.

No comments: